Five Style Tidbits Gleaned from Gwen Stefani’s “Harper’s Bazaar” Interview
Posted by Styleon 08/07/2012 at 4:33 PM
From the sounds of it, Gwen Stefani‘s life is exhausting. In a new interview with Harper’s Bazaar, the singer speaks of juggling her intense career (including late-night video shoots for the newly-resurrected No Doubt), traveling on tour with her husband, rocker Gavin Rossdale, and the responsibilities of parenting two small children, not even mentioning her two clothing and accessories lines (L.A.M.B. and Harajuku Lovers), her various promotional gigs (she’s the face of L’Oreal) and her sure-to-be-intense fitness regimen. It’s enough to make any normal gossip-blog-reading, Teen Mom-viewing person feel really lazy.
In an accompanying photo shoot masterminded by top fashion photographer Terry Richardson, Gwen wears her hair both up, in a kicky topknot and down, all windswept, and poses in a variety of high-fashion attire. There’s a form-fitting leather dress by The Row, a drapey DVF jumpsuit, a dramatic Alexander McQueen strapless dress, a structural Jill Sander gown, a sexy Versace number and more, all in shades of pink and black.
Harper‘s writer Derek Blasberg took Gwen out to lunch for the article, and the two talk a lot about her iconic and, these days, seriously flawless style. Culled from the text, here are five interesting factoids about the pop singer’s look.
1. Her adult braces (remember that phase?) were a gift she gave to herself when No Doubt hit the big time: “I always told myself when I got rich, that’s the first thing I’d do.”
2. Her first designer dress was Prada, and a roadie ruined it: “‘He took my first Prada dress, which Gavin had bought for me, the firs designer piece I ever owned, and he washed it, and it came back this big,’ she says, indicating Barbie doll—size with her fingers.”
3. She went white blonde at 25, and the procedure took 8 hours: “It was like I’d unlocked the key. I remember feeling like, ‘I have arrived. This is me. Finally.’”
4. Gavin prefers her made up, so she wears makeup at home: “I like to make my husband like me more and he likes it when I’m wearing makeup.”
5. Gwen’s inaugural tube of red lipstick, now part of her signature look, came from her grandmother: “I remember sitting in my ghetto, beat-up Honda Prelude and putting on that lipstick in the rearview mirror and being like, ‘Uh-huh, I like that. That’s the shit right there.’ I never stopped after that.”
Check Us Out On
Paul put Eleanors on the map, yo.
We've got our first John Mayer diss track, and it is MEAN.
Even Mr. Movin' On is smiling.
We're getting the strong feeling Mr. Bieber does not care for paparazzi.
Why did Lil Wayne sully the honor of this great nation?
Vicky just dropped her first post-Victorious single and it's pretty good.
Just like The Pussycat Dolls, only not as good.
2NE1 plans to make up for lost time.
The final three artists take the stage and vie for votes for the last time.
As usual, B.A.P continues to work without rest.
Surprisingly, a song called "Bring the Noize" is not the laid-back jam we expected.
Through this amazing deal, receive two bottles of wine a month customized to your tastes.
Chris Brown is the only man who can unite the Bloods and the Crips.