Justin Bieber’s Favorite Philosopher: Drake?
Posted by Newson 03/07/2011 at 2:30 PM
Justin Bieber made headlines over the weekend with his simple tweets of the phrase “I miss you” to various friends and well-wishers—including, most notably, honey Selena Gomez—but he was getting far more per-character mileage out of a tweet-spree of his favorite Drake lyrics. Bieber touched on Drizzy standards like “Successful,” “Over,” and “Shut It Down” before opening the discussion to his fanbase.
Yet one gets the feeling that The Biebs was consciously avoiding some of Drake’s more reflective lyrics—ones that would have perhaps hit a little too close for the Ontarian heartthrob. For instance:
- “When I hear ‘em talkin’, I just don’t know what to make of it / Hate is so familiar to me, I’m slowly embracing it.” (“Fireworks“) Dedicated to Miley Cyrus and her SNL costars. Bieber could take the jabs at his hair, mannerisms and swagger-coach-employment to heart, but he’d probably live longer if he simply accepted it in the spirit of gamesmanship. Wasn’t the first time, won’t be the last.
- “Yeah girl it’s on / You know what it is when I finally make it home / I just hope you miss me a little when I’m gone.” (“Miss Me“) A natural follow-up to Bieber’s initial tweet to Miss Gomez, merely asking for a tiny bit of reciprocation. For what it’s worth, Gomez did respond, though her message of missing “all of y’all” lacks something of the personal touch Bieber was likely hoping for.
- “I wish I wasn’t famous / I wish I was still in school.” (“Cece’s Interlude“) #lolrite #cmonson
- “Damn, I swear sports and music are so synonymous / Cause we wanna be them and they wanna be us.” (“Thank Me Now“) Bieber certainly proved the former with his (somewhat ill-gotten) MVP performance at the recent NBA All-Star Celebrity Game, while all others involved in All-Star Weekend seemed to prove the latter by their constant fawning over him, and their repeated, embarrassing references to “Bieber Fever.” (To be fair, though, Bieber may be closer to being able to pull off the switch than many.)
- “I mean paparazzi on me, trying not to get called out / They always seem to catch me with the women that I brought out.” (“Unforgettable“) You didn’t really think you were going to make it this entire article without seeing that picture of Bieber flipping off the paparazzo, did you?
- “I swear I got this shit that makes these bitches go insane.” (“Over“) Well…yeah.
Check Us Out On
Login to receive the latest pop music news and exclusive offers from Popdust!
Who run the world? Blue. BLUE!
What FOOLS we were thinking it was because of Skrillex all this time...
Ke$ha finally put her money where her mouth is: She drank her own pee.
It feels like the perfect night/To design a t-shirt.
Like your boys, cute, talented and from YouTube? Then we've got good news for you.
The students become the masters!
Paris Hilton is about to reignite her pop career and start DJing again. You've been warned.
Hyori once again proves why she's the Queen of K-pop.
The boy band with the bad engrish and amazing electro-pop is back.
And Usher and Shakira are barely hanging on...
There's just something about Demi.
Or she bumped heads with Katy Perry.
We give the Robots' latest opus a song-by-song breakdown, separating the filler from the future dancefloor classics.
An interstellar transmission appropriately closes out Daft Punk's fourth LP.
An unexpectedly awesome collaboration with psychedelic rock hero Panda Bear provides an album highlight.