“Never Say Never,” But Justin Bieber’s Movie Will Probably Make $28 Million
Posted by Newson 02/12/2011 at 1:00 PM
The Popdust Files: 50 cent, ashlee simpson, beyonce, britney spears, christina aguilera, eminem, jessica simpson, jonas brothers, justin bieber, mariah carey, miley cyrus, never say never, nsync, outkast, t.i.
That’s what the prognosticators at Deadline are saying, anyway. Biebs’ 3D documentary Never Say Never had a bigger haul than any other movie on Friday, but its grosses are expected to drop by 40% on Saturday, slightly behind the money brought in by Adam Sandler’s rom-com Just Go With It. How does that compare to the opening weekends for other stars’ recent film vehicles and vanity projects?
- Bjork’s Dancer in the Dark (2000): $91,612
- Mariah Carey’s Glitter (2001): $2,414,596
- *NSYNC’s (Lance Bass and Joey Fatone) On the Line (2001): $2,307,063
- Method Man and Redman’s How High (2001): $7,102,260
- Britney Spears’ Crossroads (2002): $14,527,187
- Lil Bow Wow’s Like Mike (2002): $12,179,420
- Eminem’s 8 Mile (2002): $51,240,555
- Beyonce’s Austin Powers in Goldmember (2002): $73,071,188
- Jessica Simpson’s The Dukes of Hazzard (2005): $30,675,314
- Ashlee Simpson’s Undiscovered (2005): $676,048
- T.I.’s ATL (2006): $11,554,404
- Outkast’s Idlewild (2006): $5,745,780
- 50 Cent’s Get Rich or Die Tryin’ (2006): $12,020,807
- Hannah Montana & Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds (2008): $31,117,834
- Norah Jones’ My Blueberry Nights (2008): $74,146
- Jonas Brothers: The 3D Concert Experience (2009): $12,510,374
- Christina Aguilera’s Burlesque (2010): $11,947,744
To put it in crude, non-inflation-adjusted terms, the skinny Stratfordian has the box-office draw of two Britneys, twelve Mariahs and 0.9 Mileys. Unlike Bjork or Prince, however, he probably won’t get an Oscar nomination.
Check Us Out On
Login to receive the latest pop music news and exclusive offers from Popdust!
That Lee Hyori reign just won't let up!
Is anybody else surprised at how well this 4minute song is doing, or is it just us?
Who run the world? Blue. BLUE!
What FOOLS we were thinking it was because of Skrillex all this time...
Ke$ha finally put her money where her mouth is: She drank her own pee.
It feels like the perfect night/To design a t-shirt.
Like your boys, cute, talented and from YouTube? Then we've got good news for you.
The students become the masters!
Paris Hilton is about to reignite her pop career and start DJing again. You've been warned.
Hyori once again proves why she's the Queen of K-pop.
The boy band with the bad engrish and amazing electro-pop is back.
And Usher and Shakira are barely hanging on...
There's just something about Demi.
Or she bumped heads with Katy Perry.
We give the Robots' latest opus a song-by-song breakdown, separating the filler from the future dancefloor classics.