Rihanna Makes A Berry-Paparazzi Smoothie In Her “S&M” Video
Posted by Videoson 02/01/2011 at 11:00 AM
Rihanna’s brightly hued, sexy-for-its-own-sake video for “S & M” sure is something! The singer’s hair looks really great, but the clip is sort of a mess of signifiers, all of which add up to … well, a sign that she’s looking to get talked about. (Which, really, who can blame her? Attention in the current, always-distracted attention economy is hard to come by.) Here is a list of things that I thought of while watching it.
• Lady Gaga resisting arrest in her “Paparazzi” video.
• Also, the tight, weird, and sexy outfits Gaga wears in that clip.
• Speaking of outfits, that ripped-from-the-headlines dress Rihanna’s wearing seems very inspired by Amy Lee from Evanescence’s self-lacerating Malice In Wonderland dress.
• And speaking of “ripped from the headlines,” the way Ri-Ri is tied up during her “dressed like a baby” segment brought to mind the episode of Law & Order: SVU called “Ridicule.”
• The herky-jerky, kinda-nausea-inducing camera work of Beyoncé’s video for “Why Don’t You Love Me.”
• The innate hypocrisy of complaining about gossip bloggers asking too many questions while courting them via offering them video cameos, because the co-dependent relationship between celebrities and the people who write meanly about them is pretty far beyond toxic-sludge status. BUT I DIGRESS.
• Binging on Franken-Berry that’s had the marshmallows picked out first.
Check Us Out On
Is this the "turnt" anthem we deserve?
It's her party, she can murder a French fry skeleton if she wants, for instance.
Can 4minute pull out another "What's Your Name?" and beat 2NE1?
America decides between Danielle Bradbery, Michelle Chamuel and The Swon Brothers.
Paul put Eleanors on the map, yo.
We've got our first John Mayer diss track, and it is MEAN.
Even Mr. Movin' On is smiling.
We're getting the strong feeling Mr. Bieber does not care for paparazzi.
Why did Lil Wayne sully the honor of this great nation?
Vicky just dropped her first post-Victorious single and it's pretty good.
Just like The Pussycat Dolls, only not as good.
2NE1 plans to make up for lost time.
The final three artists take the stage and vie for votes for the last time.